Written by: Portrait Photo Of Chad M. Prentice Chad M. Prentice

California law requires every driver to carry auto liability insurance to prove financial responsibility of the vehicles they own. This is vital for a motorist to have if he or she causes injury to someone else or damage to property.

Unfortunately, not every driver follows this law. This is why California also requires insurance providers to offer uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Types of uninsured/underinsured coverage

 According to the California Department of Insurance, all insurance companies must offer the following options:

  • Uninsured motorist property damage: This covers damage to your vehicle from a crash with an at-fault uninsured driver. The limit is $3,500.
  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury: This covers injuries to you and any of your passengers resulting from a crash with an at-fault uninsured driver. The limit is equal to your liability coverage.
  • Underinsured motorist: This covers for certain bodily injuries resulting from a crash with an at-fault driver who does not carry enough insurance to pay for the damages.

If you opt not to purchase this type of coverage, you must sign a waiver stating that you are turning it down.

Medical payments coverage

 Another option is medical payments coverage, also known as “med pay.” Med pay covers the medical costs of you or your passengers no matter who causes the crash. The minimum amount you can purchase is $1,000 per injured person.

If an at-fault driver does not have adequate coverage, you may also have the option to pursue a lawsuit.

This post is purely informational and does not count as legal advice.

By Maho | Prentice, LLP Attorneys at Law on July 24, 2019